If you have been running for quite a while now then your body is ready to go a step further. You might be looking for increasing your running speed. Well, there are many steps to do so.
Here in this article, we have come up with different ways to boost your running speed.
1. Make running part of your life – In order to increase your running speed, you should run quite often. Some runners prefer to run every day.
Running on a regular basis builds endurance and increases stamina which ultimately helps you run better and faster. This also makes your body adaptable in the long run. Although there should be at least one rest day in a week for a full recovery.
Along with running regularly, you should keep on challenging yourself by increasing the distance of running.
2. Recovery is important – Running hard will not give you the results you want if you do not rest properly and give your body time to recover. When you rest your muscles and tissues build and recover. Recovery is important because it prevents you from injury.
You may experience that you run faster when you take a day off from your running.
3. Proper diet – Without proper diet intake it is quite impossible for you to run .If you are healthy then only you can achieve your estimated running speed easily. You should make sure that you are consuming enough protein to build strong muscles, for adequate fuel you need to take the right number of carbohydrates and for healthy joints you have to have the right kind of fat. It is essential for you to track your calorie intake. Avoid the foods that don’t provide you nutrition.
And if you like you can contact a registered dietitian to guide you with your nutrition and to make sure that you are consuming essential micro and micronutrients.
4. Exercise – To improve your running speed and overall performance, you need strong muscles and to build strong muscles you need to exercise and lift weights. Exercise not only builds your muscles but balances your body which prevents you from the risk of injury.
You can do a strength-building workout once or twice a week. If you cannot go to the gym for any reason then you can simply practice body exercises like the push-up, squats, lunges to strengthen your body and build muscles.
5. Positivity – Being optimistic can really help you out running faster but how? If anything is done with happiness and joy it becomes a fun activity.
So every time you run enjoy your running without thinking of outcomes because when you enjoy you feel happy and in a happy positive mood you are more likely to perform better.
6. Avoid junk and sweets – As mentioned earlier it’s necessary to have a count of calories if you really want to improve your running pace. Junk & sweets add on extra calories and they are not at all nutritious. So better keep yourself away from sweets & junks.
7. Train core muscles – A strong core can make a lot of difference when it comes to run faster. A strong core improves your posture and your legs to work harder. Add some more exercise daily in your everyday routine. Planking for a minute can help a lot.
8. Loose weight – Researches have shown that shedding off one pound ( fat ) can cut 2.4 seconds off from your mile time. But this does not mean you go on a calorie deficient diet without taking care of important nutrition.
It is not healthy for everyone to loose weight. Runners who want to loose weight can consult a physician before starting any weight loss program.
9. Maintain good form – In order to run faster, you should practice proper running technique. Keeping a good posture can be a great speed booster.
It means to keep your upper body straight yet relaxed. You should strike the ground with the midfoot landing under your hip and swing your arms forward and back ( not side to side ) low 90 degrees angle.
10. Stretch stretch stretch – Stiff body can be a big drawback if you are aiming to run faster. Tight body and limited range of motion doesn’t let you move with efficiency. It hinders your pace.
Make sure you stretch out after every workout. For that, you don’t need to spend a lot of time. It simply takes 5 to 10 minutes.
11. Get enough sleep – Fast runners be very cautious about their sleep. They make sure that they are well-rested. Take your slumber seriously. This is one of the smartest ways to improve your running performance.
Practice smart sleep hygiene. Try to go to bed at the same time each night. Get rid of any electric appliance from your room i.e charger, television, etc.
You can decrease the room temperature slightly to get a sound sleep.
12. Drink plenty of water – While training body sweats a lot. That’s why It is necessary to be hydrated. Lack of water in the body can lead to cramps which can cause injury.
Make sure you are taking plenty of fluids along with healthy drinks. Avoid drinks that contain alcohol, sweeteners and dairy.
13. Breath correctly – For maximum efficiency and speed, it is very necessary to breathe properly while running. Inhaling enough oxygen is very important and for that, you may require to breathe through your mouth.
Practice deep abdominal breathing. Abdominal breathing strengthens the muscle that supports breathing. It can be very helpful especially if you have a shallow breath.
14. Drink coffee – Coffee if taken before running can increase athletic performance even in low doses. Caffeine improves neuromuscular coordination which allows your leg to fire faster and more forcefully.
It means you become more efficient and eventually you run faster with less effort.
15. Get a jump rope -This least expensive equipment can help you run faster. The benefits of jumping rope are manifold. It helps runners to develop, quickness, and smooth footwork.
It strengthens your legs muscles along with your feet and ankles. You can practice variation like Single Foot hops, jumps and twisters to build agility of your feet.
If you find it difficult to understand these instructions or have any doubts, feel free to ask us in the comment section. We would love to clear your doubts.